Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Anti-Tax Tea Party in Boerne





I rode by the Tea Party anti-tax demonstration in Boerne on my home from work. I don't know what I expected to see, but here's what I did see:

About 50 people lining Boerne's main street, holding protest signs. Ages ranged from teens to 80 year-olds. They were smiling and waving. Many people honked and waved as they drove past.

I didn't have much time, but I pulled the bike over, and walked a lap around the park. I estimated about 200 people were gathered in groups, lined up to sign up on the mailing lists, and sitting under the trees in folding chairs. American flags, protest signs, and "Don't tread on me" flags were everywhere.

The mood of those gathered seemed to be, "Thank God there are others who feel the same way!" It wasn't an angry rally, just a large group of folks who think that when it comes to government, less is more. I asked a few folks, "Do think this will lead to less government spending?" Most said something to the effect of, "Probably not, but it's a start!"

No comments: