Saturday, May 06, 2006

Pushy Software

Dear Intuit CEO,

Thank you for making several fine products, (Quicken, Turbotax, etc.).

I would also like to ask you two favors:

1. When I install a program I’ve purchased, I would really REALLY prefer not to have additional icons (in the case of Quicken— 4 additional) for other products you’d like to sell me or products you are affiliated with also placed on my desktop. After installing Quicken, I had icons for “Best Card (credit) for Quicken users,” “Experian Free Credit Report and Score,” “NetBank,” and “Quicken Billpay” taking up my screen real estate.

2. Change your registration screen so it has a checkbox that says, “Never show me this again,” or a button that says, “Do not register,” or some other obvious way to turn off the registration. I was so annoyed at the constant prompting to register anytime I used the online updates that I nearly uninstalled Quicken and vowed to never use your products again. As it was, I had to do a Google search to discover that it can only be turned off by holding + and clicking “Online-One Step Update.” That is ridiculous.

No comments: